It will be the Bay’s turn to shine this weekend when sporting clubs across the Tomaree Peninsula host events to raise money for drought relief.
Following the hugely successful Medowie Bale Out The Drought campaign which raised $70,000, sporting clubs across the Bay have partnered with Port Stephens Council, businesses and the community to hold the Farmers Relief Charity Weekend to raise even more funds for NSW farmers.
“A lot of clubs and businesses have been fund-raising individually but we thought why not have a big day or weekend where everyone did something, and combine the funds for a drought charity,” Vicky Page from Fingal Bay Sports Club said.
Ms Page, with help from Natalie Kelly from Nelson Bay Golf Club, began contacting other clubs around the Bay to jump on board. They quickly gained support at the September 8-9 weekend took shape.
Port Stephens Mayor Ryan Palmer encouraged the entire Port community to head along to an event scheduled for the weekend, and to get behind the important cause.
“The Medowie community have done an incredible job raising $70,000 for those who are affected by the drought,” Cr Palmer said. “The baton has now been passed to the Tomaree Peninsula to raise as much as we can to help our struggling farmers.
“From golf and bowls to cruising and trivia, there’s something for everyone to enjoy on the weekend. I’d encourage everyone to come along and support this worthy cause, or donate directly to assist the farmers.”
- Moonshadow-TQC Cruises: Twilight dinner cruise, $20 from each ticket will be donated
- Soldiers Point Bowling Club: Open bowls day (mens and mixed pairs bowls). Entries from 9am, bowls at 11am. Entry $10 per person. Money raised will be matched by the club
- Horizons Golf Resort: Nine hole, two-person ambrose from 1pm. $20 members and visitors, $10 donation for non golfers. FootGolf from 3.30pm. Adults $10, under-16s $5, ball hire $5, BYO football for free. All player fees will be donated
- Nelson Bay Golf Club: Four-person, 18 hole ambrose. Noon shotgun start. $25 members, $35 visitors
- Fingal Bay Sports Club: Bowls day from 10.30am (single entry or teams), barbecue lunch, children’s disco from 3pm. $15 per adult, $35 for a family of four. Phone the club by September 7 to book for bowls
- Pacific Dunes Golf Club: Four-person ambrose, 8am shotgun start. $25 members and guests
- Nelson Bay Bowling Club: QuizzaMe game show. 6pm start. $10 per person
For more details any any of the events or to simply donate to the relief, go to: portstephens.org.au/farmersrelief