357 solar panels installed on Port Stephens Council's administration building in Raymond Terrace

ECO FRIENDLY: An overhead view of Port Stephens Council's administration building in Raymond Terrace where 357 solar panels have been installed.
ECO FRIENDLY: An overhead view of Port Stephens Council's administration building in Raymond Terrace where 357 solar panels have been installed.

Port Stephens Council has gone green with the installation of more than 350 solar panels on the roof of its administration building in Raymond Terrace.

The 99.96 kilowatt solar photovoltaic system is now in operation and is projected to reduce the council's annual energy consumption for the building by more than 25 per cent.

Port Stephens Council general manager Wayne Wallis said the move was a fantastic way to save energy and money.

“We want to keep Port Stephens beautiful, as does our community, so it’s important that we use our resources sustainably and efficiently," he said.

“Port Stephens Council is always looking for ways to save money and reduce our environmental footprint, and solar is a proven way to make real and lasting savings for us and our community."

Mr Wallis said the investment in solar panels will deliver measurable benefits for the council and community.

“With the addition of 357 solar panels on our administration building roof, it’s estimated that we’ll be able to reduce its yearly energy consumption by a massive 25 per cent," he said.

“Our administration building will use approximately 85 per cent of the solar power generated, while the remaining 15 per cent will be put back into the grid on weekends and public holidays when energy use is low.

“Port Stephens Council has taken advantage of federal government rebates to deliver this project, and it’s estimated that we will achieve a return on investment in about four years, which is a great result."

Comments