The long-awaited Port Stephens Council decision on the planning proposal for Raymond Terrace's historic Boomerang Park is expected next month.
In February this year members of the 'Save our Boomerang Park' action group celebrated following a decision by Port councillors to effectively put a halt to any residential development in the iconic park after it had been promoted by some councillors as a potential site for seniors living or affordable housing.
However, a rescission motion signed by councillors Ken Jordan, Paul Le Mottee and Chris Doohan to defer the February decision was carried when mayor Ryan Palmer and deputy Sarah Smith crucially changed their vote to overturn the February 12 decision, effectively placing the controversial issue back on the agenda.
A council spokesperson said that a report on the planning proposal would be presented to council in August.
"As part of the investigation into alternative sites for seniors living in Raymond Terrace, a number of sites have been considered and the suitability of the sites for seniors living is being further investigated."
Meanwhile, construction work has commenced on a shared concrete pathway on the area of Boomerang Park closest to Kangaroo Street.
"The work is scheduled to be completed by late September, weather permitting," a council spokesperson said.
"The $600,000 [NSW Government's Stronger Country Communities Fund] grant will fund a new 2.5 metre wide shared pathway network throughout Boomerang Park, as well as provide solar lighting, entry signage, landscaping and bike racks."
Mayor Ryan Palmer said that the shared pathway would connect the community of Raymond Terrace and allow Boomerang Park to become more accessible for residents and visitors.
"It's all about encouraging people to get outside, get active and enjoy their beautiful surroundings," he said.
"Over the past few years, council made significant investments to create a public space that caters for everyone - this path is a critical piece of the puzzle."