Detectives appeal for information as reward declared in suspected murder case of Steven Fenwick

APPEAL: Detective Sergeant Jeff Little announces the $500,000 reward in the investigation into the suspected murder of Steven Fenwick (inset). Main picture: Marina Neil
APPEAL: Detective Sergeant Jeff Little announces the $500,000 reward in the investigation into the suspected murder of Steven Fenwick (inset). Main picture: Marina Neil

A senior detective investigating the suspected murder of Steven Fenwick says police believe certain people who know the missing man have been withholding information from authorities.

Detective Sergeant Jeff Little announced on Wednesday morning the NSW Government had put up a $500,000 reward for information leading to a conviction over the suspected homicide of the 33 year old, who vanished almost a year ago.

He told reporters in Newcastle that "certain people are concealing evil".

"Everything hidden will ultimately be found out," Detective Sergeant Little said. "One thing is for certain, Steven didn't just evaporate into thin air.

"Police are keeping an open mind regarding the investigation, however there are strong indicators that people who knew Steven know far more about what's happened to him.

"Sadly, they just don't have the decency to say. Somebody needs to stand up for Steven."

Mr Fenwick, known as Feno, was last seen leaving a bus on Nelson Bay Road at Fern Bay about 1pm on January 30, 2019. He has not been heard from since.

He was reported missing the following day.

Missing: Police search for Steven 'Feno' Fenwick at Stockton earlier last year. Inset: Mr Fenwick.

Missing: Police search for Steven 'Feno' Fenwick at Stockton earlier last year. Inset: Mr Fenwick.

A number of searches and public appeals have been held since then, with detectives from Newcastle City Police District establishing Strike Force Kummari to investigate the circumstances surrounding Mr Feniwck's disappearance.

Investigators later found some of Mr Fenwick's personal items in the sand dunes at Stockton Beach, indicating he could have gone for a swim and possibly drowned.

But Detective Sergeant Little, the officer in charge of Strike Force Kummari, said on Wednesday, January 15, it was believed those possessions were left there to throw police off the trail - Mr Fenwick would not have left them in such a manner and he would not have gone into the ocean alone given he had previously lost a loved one to drowning.

"Police are keeping an open mind regarding the investigation, however there are strong indicators that people who knew Steven know far more about what's happened to him - sadly, they just don't have the decency to say," Detective Sergeant Little said.

APPEAL: Detective Sergeant Jeff Little speaking to media in Newcastle on Wednesday, January 15. He announced a $500,000 reward in the investigation into the suspected murder of Steven Fenwick. Picture: Marina Neil

APPEAL: Detective Sergeant Jeff Little speaking to media in Newcastle on Wednesday, January 15. He announced a $500,000 reward in the investigation into the suspected murder of Steven Fenwick. Picture: Marina Neil

Mr Fenwick's girlfriend Samantha Melville had been scheduled to speak publicly as part of Wednesday's appeal for information, but she did not appear.

In a statement, Mr Fenwick's mother Debbie urged anyone with information about the case to contact police.

"Every day without answers is another day of heartache and confusion - we just want to know what happened," she said.

"Please, if you know anything which may help detectives, it could make a world of difference."

Anyone who may have information about Mr Fenwick's disappearance is urged to contact Newcastle Police Station on (02) 4929 0999 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.