Port Stephens companies including Ampcontrol and WesTrac are among the finalists in the 2020 Hunter Safety Awards.
The awards, in their fifth year, celebrate Hunter businesses that have demonstrated positive approaches to work, health and safety (WHS) in their workplace.
Awards will be presented across 13 categories.
This year's event will see the addition of a Best Health and Wellbeing category for both large organisations and small-to-medium enterprises (SME).
Hunter Safety Awards founder Sarah-Jane Dunford said entries demonstrated a growing focus on mental health safety in the workplace in addition to physical wellbeing.
"Every year we're impressed with the range of WHS approaches and initiatives, but to see even more businesses emphasising the importance of mental health in their entries has been a very rewarding aspect of judging this year," Ms Dunford said.
"Mental health issues affect many in our industry, making it so important we don't shy away from that and I'm so glad our awards ceremony provides a platform to celebrate and highlight these approaches."
Heatherbrae business Corfad Civil and Construction is also in the running for an award.
The awards will be presented on Friday, March 20, at Newcastle Exhibition and Conference Centre (NEX).
"This is the only large networking event for WHS professionals in the Hunter. As with every year, we're expecting a big crowd to attend, network and support the finalists and the winners," Ms Dunford said.
Tickets cost $1400 for a table of 10, or $150 for an individual. Visit huntersafetyawards.com.au/event for tickets.
Hunter finalists include:
- Ampcontrol - Have an office in Warners Bay, head office in Tomago
- Aqua Assets Pty Limited - Broadmeadow
- ARTC - Have an office in Broadmeadow
- Asset Training - Broadmeadow
- Body and Mind 2000 - Nulkaba, Cessnock
- Brimble Rail - Thornton, Morpeth
- Carter Heavy Haulage & Transport - Rutherford
- CHD Partners - Beresfield
- Corfad Civil and Construction Pty Ltd - Heatherbrae
- Critical Alpha - Online business based out of Newcastle
- Daracon - Head office in Beresfield, locations in Hunter Valley
- Ethos Health - Locations in Newcastle, Gateshead
- Hunter Valley Tours - Pokolbin, Hunter Valley
- John Holland Rail - Have an office in Newcastle
- Keolis Downer - Branch in Newcastle
- LabourCo - Lambton
- Laing O'Rourke - Have an office in Telarah
- Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group - Kooragang
- North Construction & Building - Lambton, Newcastle
- Norsu Group - Online company based out of Newcastle
- Novaskill - Broadmeadow
- Novecom - Mayfield
- Safe Industries Australia - Scone, NSW
- Singleton Council - Singleton, NSW
- Tony White Group - Dealerships in Cardiff, Rutherford, Newcastle West, Hamilton and Hamilton East
- Warner Company - Rutherford
- WesTrac - Branch at Tomago