Most Anzac Day services across Port Stephens will go ahead on Sunday but some have been scaled back as RSL sub-branches adhere to COVID-19 regulations.
The current public health order requires service organisers to collect contact details for tracing, fence off their events and have guests seated.
Some groups say they are unable to do this, such as Stockton RSL Sub-Branch which has cancelled its service for a second year, while others have the resources and space to carry out their services almost as normal, such as Tilligerry RSL Sub-Branch.
That services are going ahead at all this year has been welcomed by sub-branches, but residents unable to get to a service and wish to pay tribute to veterans past and present are still being encouraged to Light Up the Dawn on Sunday, April 25.
Listed is the Port Stephens Anzac Day services going ahead on Sunday, including changes from previous years due to the ongoing pandemic:
- No mid-morning march.
- 5.45am: Dawn Service at the Anzac Park memorial followed by a gunfire breakfast at Raymond Terrace Bowling Club.
- 11am: Morning service at Anzac Park
- 9am: Service at the Knitting Circle Memorial in Newline Road
- No dawn service or mid-morning march.
- 10.30am: Anzac Day service in Apex Park, Nelson Bay
- 11.45am: Luncheon at Wests Nelson Bay Diggers for invited guests
- No mid-morning service at the Karuah RSL memorial wall.
- 5.45am: March from the garage on the Old Pacific Highway to Memorial Park for 6am Dawn Service.
- Breakfast at Karuah RSL will be restricted to members and their guests, uniformed participants, and ticket holders. The club will open to the general public at 10am.
- Anzac Day march and services as normal.
- 5.45am: Dawn Service at Tilligerry RSL Sports Club war memorial followed by gunfire breakfast for gold coin donation.
- 9.30am: March from the southern gates of Avenue of the Allies, Tanilba Bay to the club for 9.45am service.
- Dawn service has been restricted to sub branch members only. A flag will be flying all day at Lions Park for anyone wanting to lay a wreath.
- Stockton RSL Sub-Branch will not hold Anzac Day services. The sub-branch is encouraging the community to Light Up the Dawn.
- Shoal Bay Country Club will host two-up in its car park from 12pm
- Lakeside Village Tavern will host two-up from 12pm
ALSO READ: Anzac Day in Raymond Terrace