$1 million reward offered for information into disappearance of Revelle Balmain

Police and the NSW Government have put up a $1 million reward for information into the disappearance of Revelle Balmain.

The model, dancer and escort who had been living in Sydney was reported missing in November 1994 after she failed to meet her mother Jan, a Soldiers Point ballet teacher, at a train station in Newcastle.

Suellen Simpson said her half-sister's disappearance has caused immeasurable grief to her family and that she was hopeful of answers "so that I may finally put her to rest".

"For many years our family worked tirelessly to find out what happened to my sister. Sadly, both our mother and Revelle's father, Ivor, passed away without ever knowing what happened to their little girl," Ms Simpson said.

"Losing someone that is close to you - you're never the same person again. I truly hope this reward will prompt someone to come forward with information that will help police find those responsible for Revelle's disappearance."

Just 22 when she went missing, Ms Balmain was last seen more than 26 years ago in Sydney's Kingsford area on Saturday, November 5, 1994. She has not been seen or heard from since.

It is understood that Ms Balmain was reported missing after she failed to meet up with a friend and her boyfriend as planned in the evening of November 5.

Ms Balmain was due to arrive in Newcastle on the train on the morning of November 6 to see her family before she left for Brisbane for a two week dance rehearsal then six months in Japan for a dance contract.

Jan was waiting for her daughter on the platform and grew concerned when Ms Blamain did not arrive.

Ms Balmain's personal property including a makeup bag, keys and a shoe was later found scattered near Ainslie Street in Kingsford.

Police interview with Ms Simpson:

A Coronial Inquest in 1999 found that Ms Balmain had died at the hands of a person or persons unknown to her and the matter was referred to the Unsolved Homicide Unit for future investigation.

Last year, a formal review of the case was conducted under the new unsolved framework and assigned to a senior detective from the Central Metropolitan Region for re-investigation under Strike Force Aramac.

As inquiries continue, police are renewing their appeal to the community to come forward with any information that may assist detectives with their inquiries.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, announced on Friday the reward for information to solve the case had been lifted from $250,000 to $1 million.

"Ms Balmain was only 22-years-old, and her sudden disappearance has been deeply felt by her family and friends for more than 26 years," he said. "I am optimistic that the significant increase in the reward will help detectives obtain new information relating to Ms Balmain's disappearance and hopefully hold someone to account."

State crime command director Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett said the re-investigation into Ms Balmain's disappearance is being conducted by a senior detective with significant investigative experience.

"Over the years, the support from the community in the pursuit to locate Revelle Balmain and piece together her last movements has been very beneficial to police," he said. "With fresh eyes now being cast over more than two decade's worth of statements and intelligence reports, as well as physical and forensic evidence, it is our hope that justice will be found."

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Aramac detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.

Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content: