STARTED by the Brown family in November 1893 the Examiner has a long history as the leading newspaper in Port Stephens and is best known for its commitment to community news.
Then editor William Brown ran the newspaper with his sons Cecil and Ray until the Campbell family took over in 1967 with Harold Campbell in the editor’s chair.
His two sons Keith and Don joined the family business continuing an Examiner tradition.
Don went on to become editor in 1975 only to be followed by Keith in 2004.
During Keith’s time as editor the newspaper was sold to Fairfax which continues to own the community based paper to this day.
Keith retired at the end of 2011 marking the end of an era, but making way for the Examiner’s first female editor in its 118-year history, Anna Wolf.
Ms Wolf, who joined the newspaper in 2005, is not only the first female editor but only the seventh editor in the Examiner's long history.
The Examiner has made a name for itself as one of the longest-serving community newspapers in the country and is committed to delivering quality community news for the people of Port Stephens.
In a recent Port Stephens Council survey it was revealed that the Examiner was the main source for residents when wanting to find out information about council with 96.6 per cent surveyed stating they relied on the Examiner as their news source.