Two new cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in the Hunter New England Local Health District overnight.
The cases, a woman in her 30s and a woman in her 60s, are "close contacts" of the Port Stephens man in his 30s who was confirmed as having the virus last week.
Dr David Durrheim, the public health controller for Hunter New England Health's COVID-19 response, said the two additional positive cases have been in isolation for the "full period" that they were infectious.
He added that the women were part of the "Port Stephens family cluster" of positive cases, which includes the man in his 30s, a second man in his 60s and two children aged under 10 and 2.
"We want to thank them for their contribution in keeping COVID out of our community," Dr Durrheim said of the women who have been isolating at home.
The man in his 60s was the first COVID-19 case recorded in Port Stephens in more than six weeks, confirmed by HNEH on Tuesday, July 21.
ALSO READ: Port on alert as COVID-19 cases spike
The source of infection was a visitor from Sydney, a man aged in his 20s, who has been tied to a Wetherill Park Thai restaurant cluster.
Three more cases were announced by HNEH on Thursday, July 23 and included a one-year-old child who attended Goodstart Early Learning Centre in Anna Bay, a child under 10 who attended Tomaree Public School, and the man in his 30s.
The three cases were close contacts of the initial, 60 year old patient.
A team of under-9 Nelson Bay Marlins AFL players, teammates of the 10 year old, are isolating at home for a period of 14 days after playing a game together in Nelson Bay on July 19.