Rocks thrown at Hunter Valley Buses after Brennan Nean killed in Raymond Terrace

Stock image of Hunter Valley Buses.
Stock image of Hunter Valley Buses.

Angst and confusion within the community following the death of a teenager hit by a bus in Raymond Terrace earlier in August is believed to have led to rocks being thrown at other buses owned by the same company in the days immediately following the tragedy.

Port Stephens-Hunter Police District Chief Inspector Tony Townsend said that the issue was now "resolved" but confirmed police had received a report from Hunter Valley Buses that rocks were thrown at one of its buses in Mount Hall Road near where Brennan Nean, 17, was killed on August 6.

"There was some community anger and it appears there was a perception that the bus may have been the main contributing factor, which is not what our investigation has shown," Chief Inspector Townsend said.

"Media reports and discussions within the community about what happened helped to clarify the situation and the issue has now been resolved."

A roadside memorial to Brennan Nean in Raymond Terrace.

A roadside memorial to Brennan Nean in Raymond Terrace.

A spokesman for Hunter Valley Buses confirmed to the Examiner that "objects were thrown at one of our buses" and that police were informed.

The student had been walking near the intersection of Mount Hall Road and Clyde Circuit about 8.30am when he was hit by a Hunter Valley bus carrying school students at the time.

Chief Inspector Townsend said the police investigation indicated that the bus had not been at fault, and it was likely no charges would be laid against the 41-year-old driver.

"It's very tragic what has happened, a young person has lost his life, but from our investigations we don't believe the bus was at fault in the incident," he said.

"It was going at a very low speed and making a right-hand turn at the time and going in the same direction as the young bike rider.

"The matter will be reviewed by the coroner but at this stage there's no intention to charge or take any criminal action."

Chief Inspector Townsend said he was expecting a large turnout to Brennan's funeral, which is due to be held in Raymond Terrace on August 28.